Roof finial from the Cook County Courthouse in Chicago
Location: In the southwest corner of Wilder Park, near the Conservatory
Following the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, many people from the Chicago area collected ruins from the fire as a souvenir. Seth Wadhams, who lived in what is now known as the Wilder Mansion, brought two roof finials (decorative pieces) from the Cook County Courthouse, which had burned in the fire. One of the finials deteriorated over time. The second one remains in Wilder Park. A plaque reads: Elmhurst Landmark, 1870, Urn-adorned Cook County Court House before Chicago Fire of 1871. Elmhurst Bicentennial Commission and Martha Ibbetson National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.